Is everyone ready for Christmas? After all, there's only one more sleep till Christmas! [Eve] (points for whoever knows where that's from!) Anywho... I have a really good recipe for you today and probably a scheduled post today and tomorrow, then probably taking a little time off to enjoy the holidays. But I will be back to regular posts after the New Year! I have some series I'm working on which I'm looking forward to. Hopefully I'll see you all back in 2014! (and maybe some new faces?)
I had a speghetti squash last week I wanted to use. Usually I just use it in place of regular pasta with sauce and meatballs, but we had just had that for supper the night before and I wanted to try something different, so I tried the following recipe (which is delicious!!)
Tex Mex Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1lb ground meat (we had some elk in our freezer, but you can use whatever you like)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes (I used regular but you can use the kind with the chilies for extra kick)
- 2 cups of 2% shredded Mexican cheese
1. Cut your squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and put it flesh side down in a microwave-safe dish with a little bit of water in it. Cook in the microwave for about 12 minutes, or until soft.
2. In a large skillet, cook your meat until done. Once it's done, stir in the seasonings, onions, corn, and tomatoes, and cook for about 5-10 minutes.
3. Stir in the beans, squash, and 1 cup of cheese. Mix it together until the cheese is melted.
4. Pour mixture into a greased baking pan (I think mine was 8x8) and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.
5. You can serve it with salsa or sour cream on top, or with tortilla chips. I had it with chips and it was super good! Kind of like a hearty taco dip.
Linking up at Saturday Night Fever