Travel Tuesday: Door County Favorites, Part 1

Hi, friends! Happy Tuesday! Today I am going to start a new series on my blog, which I am calling Travel Tuesday! I got the inspiration from my friend Brenda over at Chatting Over Chocolate, who does a series called Trip Report Tuesdays where she shares about her recent travel adventures. Traveling is one of my favorite things to do, so I thought I would start a series of my own! I want to share all things travel related- tips, favorites, trip reports, budgeting, etc., so hopefully you find something you like!





We recently went to Door County, Wisconsin over the 4th of July. We have family friends who live there and we try to make this an annual trip with my husband's family. Instead of doing a detailed trip report, I thought I'd share some of our favorite places and things to do on the Peninsula! This might end up being broken down into a couple posts- there are so many things we love to do there! Fun fact: the picture on the top of my blog is the beach outside of our friends' cottage! It is such a peaceful place up there and we look forward to it every year!


Food

Food is pretty important, so obviously it's going to be the first thing I talk about! We don't do a whole lot of eating out while we are there (perks of staying with friends), but there are some places we try to get to regularly!

Coffee

I love my coffee, you guys. That is definitely one thing I treat myself to while on any vacation. 


The Chocolate Chicken is located in Egg Harbor and has delicious coffee drinks and ice cream! Our favorite drink to get there is a Chickaccino (which is basically a frappuccino). Even my husband (who doesn't really care for coffee) loves these drinks! Egg Harbor has a 4th of July parade we always go to, and we always get these drinks as a yummy treat beforehand.

I love going to the Door County Coffee & Tea Co. every year! They have a café where you can get drinks and food (they have really good cold brews) and they also have a retail store where you can buy coffees, teas, and other merchandise. I always stock up with a few bags of coffee I can enjoy at home in the months to come :) They also sell their coffees on Amazon!


Treats


Wine's a treat, right? ;) Door Peninsula Winery is probably my favorite winery up there. They have free wine tastings and have some of our favorite flavors- Blackberry Merlot and Riesling. We always love to bring home a few bottles to enjoy throughout the year.



Not Licked Yet is our favorite spot for frozen custard (Not ice cream- we learned on this trip from a very enthused person that they are very different things, lol). It is in Fish Creek and is right next door to Peninsula State Park. They have plenty of outdoor seating as well as a nice playground for the kids!


Haha you guys, I definitely have to get better about taking pictures of my family at all these places! This is the only picture I could find of us at Not Licked Yet from 2018!



Restaurants

We haven't been to too many restaurants on the peninsula, but there have been a few over the years we've liked.


We didn't get to go this year, but Sonny's has been a favorite for years, particularly for their lunch pizza buffet. Mmmm. (pizza is definitely one of my favorite foods!) You can't go wrong with their cherry strudel dessert pizza!


Picture from our last visit to Sonny's when I was pregnant in 2019! I love the matching shirts on my boys 💖



The White Gull Inn is a cute inn with a restaurant attached to it, located in Fish Creek that we've eaten breakfast at a couple of times. I have to say that breakfast is my favorite meal to eat out for, and they have delicious food, including super yummy (and rich) Door County cherry stuffed French toast.


Our last visit to the White Gull Inn in 2018. My son was a big fan of the strawberries and cream ;)



Scaturo's was a new one we tried this year for breakfast and I thought it was pretty good! Their service was so quick and the food was very good. They also had delicious looking baked goods, which we didn't partake in this time; a good excuse to go back again! Funny enough, since my daughter was born right before the pandemic started, we haven't really eaten in restaurants with her since she was a tiny baby, so this was her first real experience eating in a restaurant! She was very observant and was just taking everything in!



Man it's hard to get all 4 of us to look at a picture at the same time. This is the only one out of 10!

That's a wrap on food! I am definitely making this a multiple-part series; there is much more to talk about and I don't want to make this post too long. So make sure you keep following along for another Travel Tuesday post featuring more of our Door County favorites!


Check out that tiny little sass shoulder ;)

Have any of you ever been to Door County before? If so, what are some of your favorite things to do up there? Or where are some of your favorite road trip destinations near your home? Can't wait to chat in the comments!


~Maria~

Comments

  1. Hooray for your new Travel Tuesday blogging series! It makes my heart so happy to hear that Trip Report Tuesday inspired you to start a travel series of your own! :D I'm with you - traveling is one of my favorite things to do too! And I agree, food is pretty important. It's also one of my favorite things! Ha! :) I love the fun names of some of these spots - Chocolate Chicken and Not Licked Yet! Too cute! I remember well how tricky it can be to get a family of four with two little ones to look at the camera at the same time. All of your family photos couldn't be cuter! You have such a precious family! That sweet sass in the bottom snapshot makes for a pic you'll love looking back at for years to come! :) I'm already looking forward to hearing more next Tuesday, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda! Haha now if I could get paid to travel, that would be a pretty sweet gig ;)

      Delete
  2. What a fun new blogging series! I have never even heard of Door County before but it looks like a lovely seaside area to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's definitely one of those hidden gems :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts