I'm sure you've all heard about the latest trend in the health world: oil pulling. I've been seeing it all over the internet, TV, and radio. What is oil pulling, you may ask? It is an ancient practice of swishing pure oils in your mouth to help remove toxins from your body. Your mouth is one of the dirtiest places in your body, so it makes it an ideal place to do this type of detoxification.
I know what you may be thinking: Gross, right? Well, I initially thought so too. But just check out some of the health benefits from oil pulling:
- Strengthens teeth, gums, and jaw
- Prevention of diseases of the mouth, such as cavities and gingivitis
- Helps to prevent bad breath
- Whiter teeth
- Increased energy
- Decreased headaches
- Clearer skin
- Supports kidney function
- Reduces insomnia
- Relieves hangovers
Pretty cool, right? I've seen a few variations on the method of oil pulling, but here's the basic procedure:
- Put 1-2 teaspoons (I've seen up to a tablespoon) of vegetable-based oil in your mouth. I use coconut, but you can apparently also use sesame or olive. I put it in as a solid and let it melt in my mouth, but you could also melt it before.
- Swish for 20 minutes. This may seem like a long time, but I do it while I'm in the shower in the morning or doing something else to take my mind off it.
- Spit it into the trash, not the sink as it could plug up your water lines.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water to get the rest of the oil out.
- Brush your teeth.
Right away in the morning is the ideal time to do this, although I've done it a couple times at night just so I can stay in the habit of doing it everyday.
I've only been doing it for a week, so I'm no expert. But I have noticed my teeth are getting whiter. Honestly, if this is the only effect I see from this process, I'll take it. It saves a TON of money on over-the-counter whitening systems or procedures at your dentist. My teeth also get super sensitive when I use these products, and I'm not noticing that with the oil pulling.
I'm hoping that the more I do oil pulling, the more results I will notice. It's only been a week after all! I will keep updating you from time to time on what I find.
Have any of you tried oil pulling? What are some of the results you've gotten from it (if any)?
I am not a doctor, and I'm not guaranteeing these results. I'm just relaying what I've heard/read and what I've personally experienced.