You will need:
- Two cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- One 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 24 oz chicken stock (or vegetable stock to make it a vegetarian meal- chicken was all I had on hand)
- One onion, chopped
- Two cloves of garlic, minced
- One tablespoon chili powder
- One tablespoon cumin
- One teaspoon oregano
- One tablespoon olive oil
- Two sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
- One cup dry quinoa
- Salt and pepper to taste
(I used some homemade chicken stock I canned last month)
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are soft and starting to brown. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
2. Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly so the mixture doesn't burn.
3. Add the beans, stock, and potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the quinoa and cook for about 15-30 minutes, stirring frequently until the potatoes and quinoa are cooked and the chili is thickened. (This took 30 minutes for me)
(I took a final picture of the chili in the bowls, but my camera deleted it, so you'll just have to imagine what it looks like)
We served ours with avocado slices and a bit of shredded cheese. Yum yum!