Baked Pickle Chips

I love pickle chips! Every time we go to Buffalo Wild Wings, we get them as an appetizer. Or every year at the State Fair, or pretty much any place that has them :) We didn't do anything for the Super Bowl on Sunday, but I made these as a snack to have with the game. 

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
  • 32 pickle slices (actually I used a whole jar of homemade pickles so I didn't count)
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Place the breadcrumbs, flour, and egg whites into 3 separate bowls. Pat each pickle slice dry, coat it in flour, dip it in the eggs, then coat in breadcrumbs (I learned a trick on a cooking show once for this process- keep one hand separate for the dry ingredients and one for the wet- it saves a bigger mess in the end!). Place the pickles on a baking sheet lined with tin foil. Bake about 8 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Serve with a side of ranch.


Not gonna lie, my poor chips look like they need to see the sun or something. Some of the recipes I found said to heat the breadcrumbs in a pan on the stove beforehand to get them more golden and toasty. I did not do this, but I think I'm going to try it next time. 

Also, I have never made homemade pickles before, but decided to experiment with them this past Fall. We are just trying them now, and I didn't cut them thin enough, so our chips were a little mushy in the middle. I also had way too much vinegar in the canning liquid, so that kind of overpowered the taste a bit. I think next time I'm going to try it with store bought pickle chips instead. I like pickle chips too much- I want to get this recipe right! :)

Have you guys had any luck with making homemade pickle chips? What recipe do you use?
 

Comments

  1. pickle chips are my favorite :) urban eatery by lake calhoun makes the best ever friend pickled spears - so good if you're ever near here :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts